We're Honoring Military Working Dogs
Updated: Feb 19, 2019
Month - March (13th is K’9 Veterans Day)
Dogs in the military have struggled over the years to earn their recognition as American heroes and the pack at Walk with Renzo and Ruby want to recognize and give them the honor they deserve. Here are some fascinating facts about military working dogs (MWDs):
1. MWDs have been in combat with US soldiers during every major conflict, but they were not officially recognized until WWII.
2. MWDs are trained in bomb, weapon and drug detection, tracking, and to attack the enemy.
3. There are about 2500 active MWDs in service today and about 700 deployed overseas.
7. MWDs aren’t all German Shepherds. There are many breeds.
8. MWDs can get PTSD just like humans.
9. MWDs mourn the loss of their handler and vice versa.
10. Until November 2000, military dogs were euthanized or abandoned after retirement.
There are several ways YOU can honor the efforts of military working dogs, such as making a donation to a non-profit that helps to provide life-saving equipment for the four-legged soldiers or tends to the needs of retired MWDs.
Woof! We thank all our two AND four-legged heroes for their service to our great nation!